Mom, as you celebrate the major milestone of your 90th birthday, I look back at what it has meant to be your daughter. Some of the things I appreciated at the time, others have become more precious as I look back on my life and realise the enormous contribution you’ve made to the tapestry of the person I am.
As a child, thank you….
- that you were always home for me when I came back from school
- for the hours you spent watching dance classes, supporting me (and being a shoulder to cry on) as I competed at eisteddfods, and for the blood sweat & tears you put into sewing my costumes
- for giving me the rope to try everything, chasing after me when needed and for picking me up when I fell
- for teaching me how to cook & bake – I will always relish those moments in the kitchen on a Saturday morning after tennis, licking the bowl as you put together a spread for Sunday afternoon tea
As a teenager, thank you…
- for putting up with the attitudes, dramas and idiosyncrasies that came with the life stage
- for patiently listening to my daily phone calls when I was homesick at boarding school
- for being my best friend when we moved away from everything & everyone I’d ever known
- for allowing me to be myself & learn from my own mistakes whilst being there to pick up the pieces
As an adult, thank you
- for your unfailing love
- for sharing your wisdom as a precious woman of God
- for continuing to encourage me to push the boundaries and explore new horizons
- for always being interested in what I’ve been doing and where I’ve been going
- for loving my husband as your own son, challenging him and helping him grow
This is not an exhaustive list – it would take another lifetime to list them all – but some of the memories that I will forever treasure in my heart.
We have both made mistakes along the way, but I am eternally grateful that God blessed me with you as my mother. Not only have you been a loving mother, but a role model – as a woman and as a precious child of God. I trust that I have learned from you and am able to be an example to and have an impact on so many people as you have.
Sad to have missed the celebrations, but glad that you have been able to live vicariously through us as we navigate the ups and downs of life in the beautiful city of Florence, Italy.
Happy 90th birthday!!